iPad Program grades (6-12)
AMERICAN HERITAGE SCHOOL &
AMERICAN ACADEMY iPAD PROGRAM
Students in grade 6-12 will have to bring an iPad to school. Students can use the iPad to access digital texts, take notes, and conduct research. iPad carts will be available for Upper School teachers to use with their classes, since every student will not have a personal device for this school year.
As part of the AHS iPad Program, incoming fourth and fifth grade students are able to use their personal iPads in school. For 4th and 5th grades, the use of personal iPads is optional. iPads will be used for research activities, the Accelerated Reader program, and teacher directed learning activities. Students will still be required to purchase physical textbooks. American Heritage School will continue to provide students from PK3 to Grade 5 with iPad experiences through access to iPad carts owned by the school.
- Why the iPad?
- What procedures has the school implemented to prevent students from texting, going on Facebook and Twitter, and surfing the web?
- What security procedures has the school implemented to make sure that the iPads are safe?
- Can iPads be used anywhere on campus?
- What should students do to backup their iPads?
- What apps are recommended?
- Will students be able to charge their iPads at school?
- Will there be rules and guidelines regarding iPad use on campus.
- What additional options would you recommend?
- Will each student be given an email address?
- What happens when a new model is released and/or new technologies emerge?
- How will students save documents?
- Will students only be using digital books (ebooks)?
- What about insurance?
What happens if an iPad gets broken, lost or stolen? It is a good idea to consider some sort of insurance for your child’s iPad. If you purchase your iPad through Apple, you may want to elect to buy AppleCare+ for an additional fee. Every iPad comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through the limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPad extends your coverage for two years from the original purchase date of your iPad and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee. You should also check with your homeowners, renters, and/or car insurance to see if loss or damage to an iPad would be covered. If you are interested in purchasing outside insurance for your iPad, there are many options out there. Here are a few:
Worth Ave. Group - http://www.worthavegroup.com/ipad
Safeware - http://www.safeware.com/Products/iPadCoverage.aspx
SquareTrade - http://www.squaretrade.com/ipad
Protect Your Bubble - http://us.protectyourbubble.com/?source=aw